Sunday, July 13, 2008

This is...what scrambles my brain when I try to understand it

This weeks theme is from Flightless Boyds and I must say, there isn't just one thing that scrambles my brain when I try to understand it. I've limted this post to two brain scrambly things...
1. Physics
The Perimeter Institute for Physics. Isn't the building cool? (Image from www.egodesign.ca)


Physics is something that I think is kinda cool but I just do not understand it. It makes my brain ache. I tried my hand at physics in Year 11 and in the first class was told that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. The example given was: 'See this glass on the table? It is putting force onto the table and the table is putting equal and opposite force onto the glass.' I DO NOT GET THIS! The table is a lot bigger than the glass so shouldn't it be throwing up lots more force? So shouldn't the glass shoot off the table? And why does the table need to throw force upward anyway? Can't it just let the glass sit on there without throwing up any force? I grappled with this theory for a while and then made the decision that physics was not for me. I went and changed my subjects. Ditch physics and enrol in drama.
I can see that the area of physics is interesting. I really love maths. I think maths is super clever and interesting and I know that physics and maths are practically best friends, so I don't know why I have trouble with physics. The Mr has tried time and again to explain different aspects to me. I can follow it for a while but then the brain goes scrambly and it is no use trying.

2. The Tour de France

Cadell Evans celebrating in 2007. (Image from www.theage.com.au)

I love the Tour. It is on at the moment and it is great to watch. All that lovely french countryside, that commentator who makes every meter of the Tour exciting. The bit with Gabriel Gate at the start of SBS's coverage making something delicious from each region of France. It is all great. So what makes my brain scrambly? The rules. I don't get the yellow jersey, the green jersey, the teams, the strategy, the pelaton.

Like physics, I know that this is all interesting. I know that if I understood it, I'd find the strategy really, really interesting. But right now, it is a mystery to me.

I think if you are fit enough to be able to bike ride a billion k's around France, why would you not want to win? Or at least try your hardest? The Mr has explained a bit of the Tour to me and I'm sure he said that they race in teams but some riders have the job of being the sacrifical lamb. Basically they are willing to sacrifice themselves and their spot in the race for the best rider in their team. On one hand I think that is very admirable - one of the few sporting events that seems to have such and element. But then I think of the dark horse. Who chooses the 'best person' in the team? What if another member of the team was having a great race and would have gone really well but instead they put themselves on the line for their 'best chance'? People put years of effort into training for this race, only to be a mere wing man.

But I suppose that the real achievement of the Tour is actually finishing the race.

Ok. While I've been typing away here, I've made up my mind that tonight I am going to sit down with the Mr and ask him to explain the tactics of the Tour. I will try my hardest to use my grey matter and understand all the confusion.

Then maybe tomorrow we'll tackle physics.

1 comment:

Kirsty said...

I don't get physics or the tour either. Luckily the date isn't into the tour.