Friday, July 25, 2008

Ants...a reflection

So the ants are back. They are stubborn little buggers and they are SMART. Speaking of smart things, I love smarties - love them more than M&M's (except the white M&M's) and often indulge in a little smartie goodness once the little tacker is in bed. The other night I thought I'd reached the end of the packet and stupidly left it on the coffee table - next morning ANT PARTY. They had demolished the shell of the 2 remaining smarties. Clever and good taste hey?
I went on a killing spree last night with my friend Mortein. I sprayed the sink and got about 100 casualties. And it made me a little sad. I kept thing of Z, the cute little worker ant in Antz and how he was a pretty good guy and that humans did terrible things like stepped on ants, dropped water on them etc. I'm not sure I can remember Mortein featuring in the movie but damn that stuff is powerful. It literally kills them in their tracks.

And then I started thinking like an ant....I thought devious thoughts. I decided not to wipe up the dead ants because I think that if I were an ant marching along and saw 100 dead friends, I would think 'STOP. THIS IS ENEMY TERRITORY.' and I'd go back to my safe little nest, tell my alive friends and we'd all make a decision to uproot our camp and move to Switzerland.
So I'm in a bind - kill them and rid the house of them OR try to beat them with mind games OR let them do their thing and wait till they naturally get sick of our place and move on?
Who knew ants were so complex? Or do I have too much time on my hands?

Image from lookingcloser.org

No comments: