Saturday, July 12, 2008

The ants are marching

Bloody ants!
They are everywhere. I first spied a lone ant in the kitchen and then, on closer inspection there was not one ant, or even two - but approximately 50 squillion.
HOW do they get in? WHY do they come in? WHERE can I find out how to rid my house of these little devils?

I've tried several wives tales: Cayenne pepper, peppermint oil, borax but nothing works. The only thing that does work that is remotely child friendly is talcum powder. Squirt the buggers with talc and they seem to wobble around. Problem is, I don't know if they die from the talc or simply avoid it.

They are driving me crazy. Here's a list of where I've seen them:

  • in the kitchen cupboards
  • in the sink
  • on the floorboards in the lounge
  • in the toy box
  • on the coffee table
  • in my wool stash (why??)
  • in my handbag
  • on my computer - and in my computer
  • ON my son. (not happy with that)

You are probably wondering what squallor I live in. I swear this house is clean! And just to give you an idea of exactly how clean it is - I tell you this: my mum has just visited me for one week. She is a champion cleaner and has mopped, wiped, re-mopped, ironed, bleached, bi-carbed, vinegared, scrubbed and washed to within an inch of the houses' life.

But still the ants are here. Not even she could rid the house of them.

Anyone out there have a sure-fire, kid-friendly remedy?

image from msinsights.com

2 comments:

Christie said...

I know you siad you tried Borax, but we had sucess with a mixture of water sugar, honey & borax. I think the mixture was 1/2 litre water and a tablespoon of borax, honey & sugar. Fill an empty cap (or three) with the mixture & put it somewhere out of reach of your son.

threadsforevie said...

Thanks Christie, I am going to give that a go. At this stage I'm pretty much willing to give anything a go. After I finished writing that post last night, I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and they were having a giant ant party in the bathtub. Grrrrr.