Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Finally...pictures of my sewing

I've been beavering away at making skirts. I have to go back to work next week :-( and thought that I'll feel better about it if I'm wearing something nice. At work, I will not be used as a human serviette which is apparently what Herb thinks that I am. Therefore, I can wear nice clothes. A trip to Patchwork on Central Park scored me some lovely Amy Butler heavy weight fabric and using a bit of nouse and a lot of trial and error, I decided to make a reversible skirt. No pattern involved, just a lot of holding the fabric up to myself and deciding to cut here and there...

I did a few web searches and found some good skirt tutorial guidance. I meshed all that knowledge into my head, and forged on. First up - layed the fabric out, lined it up, drew my lines and cut with my trusty sewing scissors. You probably can't tell in this pic but my cutting was (ahem, get ready for some boasting) perfect. Yes it was. Both pieces matched exactly.


Then I got excited cause I thought I had lots of lovely left over fabric. But I decided to insert a waistband thanks to Distressed for the tutorial.

Next up - overlocking. Oh what fun it is to overlock and can I just state for the record: Overlocking beats zig zag any day of the week.

I'll post more pics of the progress tomorrow but thought I should finish with some images of the iron and my great sewing scissors. No project is complete unless you have some type of craft injury. I burnt myself with the iron and actually snipped my finger with the scissors. Must of been a reallllly good craft day!

1 comment:

CurlyPops said...

Can't wait to see the finished skirt. I really have to get my overlocker out and learn to use it!