Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Beautiful buttons

As promised, more skirt pictures. I made two reversible skirts. The first one was ultra trial and error. I had a little run in with the overlocker which resulted in one rather ummm shapely side...
The patterned fabric looks v Marimekko I think but it was a Spotty special - $1/m. The other side is wool flannel, nice and warm for winter. The skirt has a hole in the middle that you step into so when the skirt is on you see a triangle of the alternate fabric.
It's all finished except for the daunting task of sewing the buttons on. I went to Buttonmania and bought some fab buttons. The ladies at that shop are so incredibly nice and helpful plus they have lots of patience with people (ok, me) who come into their shop with a very wriggly little boy who, quite frankly, is not the least bit interested in skirts or buttons. Infact, he'd probably rather eat the buttons.


The second skirt is the one that I posted about a week or so ago. It is Amy Butler fabric with black wool suiting on the reverse. This one is better made. The waistband is really good (if I say so myself!) and I just love the fabric. The buttons look better in real life, this pic make the green buttons look more green than they really are and it makes the other ones look quite yellow rather than limey green.

Now I just need to pluck up the courage and get my sewing machine to magically create 4 button holes for me.

2 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Oooooh buttonholes are scary!
Can't wait to see the finished items, they look great so far.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love the contrasting fabrics on your skirts. Buttonmania sounds like my type of shop!Good luck with the buttonholes.