Thursday, February 5, 2009

Cheating


On a whim I bought some great Denyse Schmidt fabric, County Fair Patchwork Promenade. I decided to make my first cheat's quilt. All my other quilts have been hand pieced, hand basted, hand quilted and hand binded (bound perhaps?).
This fabric is a single print and it's pretty groovy. My neighbour is a quilter too and swears by tagging guns to baste. You know those little plastic tags that keep the labels to clothes in shops? Those annoying little ones whose ends fly away when you snip them?
Miss Skeptical (moi) decided to give it a crack but hand basted the straight, across and diagonal before turning to the tagger. What a success - after 40 mins the quilt was tagged to within an inch of its life. And what fun I had shooting those little tags in and essentially going crazy with the tagger. You'll be pleased to know that said tagging gun is now safely in the hands of my neighbour.
Keeping with my cheating resolution, I decided to simply quilt it by stitching in the 'ditch' - well the fake ditch in this case. And I'm not doing tiny stitches like I did on the hexy quilt - these are big ones, about 1cm each.
Hoping that this one comes together quickly.

2 comments:

Cass said...

I got some of that fabric too and am just trying to decide how to quilt it

Lou said...

The other quilt is gorgeous and full of love but might be nice to have one done a bit faster this time! Looking good so far.