Monday, June 30, 2008

Crochet love

I've always wanted to learn to crochet. I remember my mum made a crochet blanket out of all of her scrap wool. I LOVED it. There was a lot of blue, a smidge of orange and lots of other great colors that she had left over from other projects. I love granny square rugs and all that kinda thing.

At Brown Owls Aunty Pat did her best to teach me how to get the hang of it all but to be honest, she was quick sticks with the crocheting. You know when someone tries to teach you and they say 'I'll do a few stitches so you can see how it is done' then you hand over the tools and their hands fly in the air so fast that they are practically a blur - well that is Aunty Pat. She is a whizz when it comes to crochet. And very kind and patient too.

So I knew I needed to practice before I could play with the great wool I bought at the Calico and Chintz closing down sale. Lucky for me, I have a friend who is v good a crochet and helped to start me off and remind me of a few tricks of the trade. Anyhoo, the beginnings of my first beanie were falling nicely into place. After a few nights of stitching....voila!




The beanie is for the Mr. I promised it to him last October for his birthday - and here it is. 8 months later.


The wool is called Free Spirit (I think). It is lovely. The colors are so autumn like.

I think I increased too much at the beginning so it is slightly too large but thanks to Lara's advice, I think I'll handwash it in some warm water and see if it shrinks slightly. If it all goes horribly wrong, I guess Herb will have a beanie!

3 comments:

CurlyPops said...

It looks amazing...what a great job for a first project!

driftwood shack said...

This is such a great start I take wool and crochet hooks away every holiday with a huge how to book and never get further than a flower or two, mostly becuase I find them so confusing! ( I think my concentration powers are fading with age!Lol)

Anonymous said...

I think that it looks fantastic - what gorgeous yarn (and excellent crocheting) - good luck with the gentle shrinkage process.